Sunday, January 02, 2011

Happy New Year!

Nick and I went to Nashville this past week/weekend for a few days, so I didn't get a chance to wish everyone a Happy New Year's Eve... or even New Year's Day. However, I don't believe January 2nd is too late to start the year off right!

We have dinner at my parents' house every Sunday, so of course tonight we had to have our traditional New Year's dinner: pork, greens, black-eyed peas, potatoes, and cake. Nom, nom, nom - it is by far my favorite meal of the year!

When Nick and I were driving back to Raleigh from Nashville yesterday, we were curious about the tradition behind the New Year's meal and found this great resource on Epicurious (thank you, Google), that I wanted to share: Lucky Foods for the New Year.

Greens and black-eyed peas (or legumes) are symbolic of economic good fortune or wealth, pork symbolizes progress, and so on. Next year, I'm adding wine to the menu since the article covers the superstition of grapes, too!

Welcome to 2011 and best wishes for a wonderful year, y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment